If you’re looking for a South African winery that offers exceptional wine and a stunning setting, look no further than Under Oaks. Located in Paarl, a picturesque town in the Western Cape, Under Oaks is a family-owned and operated winery that has been producing top-quality wines for years.
History of Under Oaks Winery
The winery was established in 1999 by Hans and Theresa Peter Musch, who fell in love with the rolling hills and unique terroir of the region. They started with just a few hectares of vineyards, but over the years, they have expanded to over 50 hectares, with a focus on varietals such as Pinotage, Chenin Blanc, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Types of Wines on Offer
Under Oaks produces a range of wines, from crisp whites to full-bodied reds. Some of their most popular varietals all served in Riedel glasses include:
- Under Oaks Chenin Blanc – This crisp and refreshing white wine has notes of green apple, pear, and honey, with a subtle minerality and a hint of spice. It pairs well with seafood and spicy dishes. The current price is approximately ZAR 130 per bottle.
- Under Oaks Chardonnay – This creamy white wine has notes of ripe tropical fruit, such as pineapple and mango, along with a hint of vanilla and oak. It has a well-balanced acidity and a long, smooth finish. This wine pairs well with roasted chicken, seafood dishes, and creamy pasta dishes. The current price is approximately ZAR 160 per bottle.
- Under Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon – This classic red wine varietal has bold flavors of blackcurrant, with a hint of vanilla and oak. It pairs well with red meat dishes and strong cheeses. The current price is approximately ZAR 220 per bottle.
- Under Oaks French Flair – This elegant red blend has flavors of blackcurrant, black cherry, and plum, with a hint of vanilla and spice. The tannins are smooth and well-integrated, giving the wine a velvety texture. The finish is long and lingering, with a subtle smokiness. This wine pairs well with hearty meat dishes and strong cheeses. The current price is approximately ZAR 280 per bottle.
- Under Oaks Malbec – Elegant, 18 months in French oak. A complex and elegant character which expresses blackberry, plums, black cherries, the nuance of dark chocolate and a tobacco finish. Mouthfuls of vibrant fruit, hints of peppery spice and powdery cocoa. Enjoy right away or age for 5 or 6 years. A great match for various meat dishes and rich sauces. The current price is approximately ZAR 200 per bottle.
Note that these tasting notes are subjective and can vary depending on the individual tasting the wine. It’s always best to try the wine yourself to see what flavours and aromas you enjoy most.
Under Oaks offers a variety of tasting options, including a standard tasting of five wines for ZAR 80 per person and a premium tasting of seven wines for ZAR 120 per person. These tastings are a great way to sample the various wines on offer and find your new favourite.
Menu Options and Offerings
Aside from its exceptional wines, Under Oaks also offers a range of delicious food options to pair with its wines. Their restaurant, The Kitchen at Under Oaks, is open for breakfast and lunch, offering a range of dishes such as wood-fired pizza, salads, and gourmet sandwiches. On weekends, they also offer a special tasting menu featuring a selection of their wines paired with local, seasonal ingredients.
Contact Details and Location
Under Oaks is located in Paarl, South Africa, about an hour’s drive from Cape Town. They are open seven days a week from 9 am to 5 pm. You can contact them by phone at +27 21 869 8045 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They also have an active social media presence on platforms such as Instagram and Facebook, where you can stay up to date with their latest offerings and events.
Visit Under Oaks Winery
Overall, Under Oaks is a must-visit for any wine lover or traveller looking for a memorable experience in South Africa. From their exceptional wines to their delicious food and stunning setting, there is something for everyone at this charming winery. So, grab your friends and head over to Under Oaks for a day of wine tasting, good food, and great company.