Indulge in this free recipe by Steenberg Executive Chef Kerry Kilpin paired with their flagship red wine, Steenberg Catharina. Embrace the warmth and comfort of this richly textured wine while savouring hearty winter comfort food in front of the fireplace this winter.
An Accomplished Blend with a Courageous Legacy
Bold yet suave, forthright yet subtle, Catharina is a Bordeaux-style red blend that embodies the courageous spirit of its namesake, Catharina Ras—the inspiring founder of Steenberg in the 17th century. Steenberg Catharina 2020 marks the 23rd vintage since its inception in 1997 and pays homage to Catharina’s enduring legacy through the passion and determination of the entire Steenberg team.
An Exquisite Cape Bordeaux Blend
Crafted with utmost care, Steenberg Catharina 2020 is a true Cape Bordeaux blend comprising Merlot (59%), Cabernet Sauvignon (27%), and Malbec (14%). Meticulously selected from the finest barrels of the vintage, this wine beautifully expresses the unique terroir of the Constantia Valley, where Steenberg is located.
Layers of Flavor and Subtle Texture
Prepare to be captivated by the complex layers of flavours found in Steenberg Catharina 2020. Concentrated notes of raspberry, blackcurrant, and black cherry unfold gracefully, supported by a full yet nuanced texture. This winter red is perfect for your next dinner party with friends, complementing red meat and rich, saucy dishes. The wine’s dark fruit and spice, balanced acidity, and polished tannic finish create an exceptional pairing.
A Culinary Delight: Chef Kerry Kilpin’s Ricotta and Herb Stuffed Neck of Lamb
Pairing Catharina 2020 with Steenberg Executive Chef Kerry Kilpin’s ricotta and herb stuffed neck of lamb, finished with zesty lemon jus, is an exquisite dining experience. This flavorful dish perfectly accentuates the herbal notes of the Merlot in the blend, elevating the overall tasting experience. Additionally, Catharina is the ideal wine to enjoy as a soothing glass to wind down after a chilly day.
Discover the New Vintage of Catharina
There has never been a better time to explore the latest vintage of Steenberg Catharina. Experience this flagship red wine by purchasing it at the cellar door for R365 per bottle. For the convenience of online shopping, visit the Steenberg website at www.steenbergfarm.com and bring the essence of Catharina into your home.
Unwind, relax, and relish the charms of Steenberg Catharina—a wine crafted with passion, tradition, and a commitment to excellence.
FREE RECIPE:Lamb Neck stuffed with Ricotta and Herbs
Lamb Neck stuffed with Ricotta and Herbs with Lemon Jus
by Steenberg Executive Chef Kerry Kilpin
For the meat:
1kg deboned lamb neck
10g chopped basil
10g chopped parsley
Zest of 1 lemon
1 onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 stick celery chopped
For the jus:
1 litre stock
1 lemon juiced and zested
Salt and pepper
1. In a food processor combine the ricotta, herbs and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper.
2. Open the neck up and season with salt and pepper on the inside and out. Lay the neck “skin” side down and spread the filling over the entire surface of the meat. Roll up like a Swiss roll and secure the meat by tying it with butcher’s string.
3. Prepare a roasting tin with the chopped vegetables and stock. Lay the lamb neck on top of the vegetables.
4. Braise in a preheated oven of 160º C for 2-3 hours or until cooked. When you place a skewer in the meat it should have no resistance.
5. Once cooked remove the meat from the pan and allow to rest.
6. For the jus, combine the vegetables and stock from the roasting pan and blend. Pour into a pot and bring to the boil. Add the zest, lemon juice and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Strain before serving.
15g chopped mint
800g butternut cubed and roasted
To serve: Slice the lamb neck and place on the roasted butternut. Drizzle the lemon jus around and top with mint, peas and feta cheese.