If you love wine, sunshine, live entertainment and mixing with some of Cape Town’s young elites – then the Franschhoek Uncorked festival is just for you.
I have been last year and thoroughly enjoyed the company of new friends, live entertainment and good wine.
This year, tickets cost R140 per person which gets you a free wine glass and wine tastings at all the participating wine farms. Click here to buy tickets.
Get a designated driver though because it is a full day out and you will be tasting LOTS of wine 🙂
I would recommend not to do more than three farms a day. Plan your day and pick carefully. Here is the programme: franschhoek-uncorked-programme-2016
The wine farms I would recommend are:
FRIENDS WITH FLAIR
- Boschendal– make it a fist stop because you can buy tickets here on the day. Start off with a tasting of MCC Brut NV, 1685 Chardonnay and Sommelier Pinotage. Shiraz pork sausages, games and stalls offering farm fresh food.
- Anthonij Rupert Wyne – Oyster bar paired with L’Ormarins Cap Classique wines, refreshing summer inspired cocktails, Litchi Eau de Vie sorbet, live music and BBQ brisket sandwiches!
- Lynx Wines – End off the day with a Spanish and Mexican themed party complete with burritos, chilli poppers, churros and live music! Let’s also not forget the latest vintage of their national winner at the SA Terroir Awards: the Lynx Viognier 2016. Join in the fun of drinking from the old traditional Spanish Porrón (be sure to bring an extra t-shirt in case you spill!).
- Haute Cabrière – MCC for breakfast is the perfect way to start the day! Participate in the very popular Ratafia ball throwing challenge on both days – great prizes to be won!
- Maison Estate – Esteemed Chef Arno Janse van Rensburg and his team invite you to join them in celebrating Heritage Day in typical Maison style with live music, delicious wines and exciting barbeque-style dishes that will make your mouth water.
Taco Trios (select 3 for R100):
· BBQ beef, pickled shallot and basil
· Spiced chicken, sesame salt and coriander
· Fish tartar, lime, tomato and parsley
· Aubergine, black garlic, red pepper and smoked
mushroomMaison is offering exclusive discounts on selected wines and bubbles throughout the weekend. Buy one bottle of MCC bubbles for R250 or a case for R1 500. You can also buy a case of Maison’s respected Shiraz 2013 for R950. Maison Estate is open to the public until 17:00. Booking is recommended, contact 021 876 2116.
- Dieu Donné Vineyards – end off the day with stunning 360° rooftop views overlooking the Franschhoek valley. You can enjoy a wacky golf experience together with Roca Restaurant. Take part in their annual cork golfing challenge or get creative with the kids at the ‘dressing up the cork’- table. Sit back and enjoy the live music from Francois Louw and Johan Roos while trying some of the free wine tasters. Food offerings will include #braai4heritage boerewors rolls and cheese platters.
- Allée Bleue – Enjoy a cheese and wine pairing with live entertainment while the kids enjoy the kiddies play area.
- Rickety Bridge – This farm is great for kids because you can sit on the stoep and there is a large grass area for the kids to run around on. You can enjoy their scrumptious homemade open flamed fare. Fun activities on the farm include kiddies’ entertainment, live music, wine tasting and various lawn games. For the more competitive type, enjoy a game of boule on their lavish green. So why not bring a picnic blanket and enjoy a fun filled day, while overlooking the vines at Rickety Bridge.
- Mont Rochelle – Sir Richard Branson’s Estate, Mont Rochelle, is a stunning 26-bedroom hotel and vineyard in the town of Franschhoek. Considered to be the food and wine capital of South Africa, this is a perfect location for rest and relaxation. Uncorked will be hosted at their ‘casual dining’ restaurant Country Kitchen, where guests are encouraged to sample the delicious new wines and #braai4heritage themed menu, whilst enjoying the fantastic views of the Klein Dassenberg Mountains. Besides the obligatory wine tasting of their new release wines, they will have jumping castles and other child friendly activities as well as fun lawn games and treasure hunts for the whole family to enjoy. You will also have the opportunity to meet their accomplished winemaker, Dustin Osborne, who will provide you with all the necessary hints and tips for choosing one of our crisp whites or classic reds. Pre bookings for #braai4heritage R200 per adult and R90 per child. Contact Mont Rochelle (021) 010 0553, email:email@example.com
- By this stage, if you have kids, you will already be exhausted by farm two 🙂 Other child friendly farms from what I could find out are GlenWood, Mount Rochelle or Dieu Donné.
- Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards – Lounge on the wide stoep overlooking the beautiful Franschhoek landscape and try something new like a sophisticated Chenin Blanc Martini, a fabulous Chardonnay Pinot Noir Cosmopolitan or a seductive Cabernet Sauvignon Square. For the #braai4heritage initiative, Chef Pieter will also add some traditional boerewors made with a special selection of spices as well as a pumped-up version of the all-time favourite braaibroodjie – filled with pork belly and fire-grilled on the rotisserie.
- GlenWood – Off the beaten track, nestled between the mountains in the valley, entice your taste buds with some excellent wines and gourmet braaivleis, with soulful Jazz in the background to calm the senses. Activities on the farm for the weekend include:· Boules
· Wine-blending competition 12:00 and 15:00 each day R100 per team, booking essential (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Entertainment for kiddiesMenu:
· Lemon-and-herb chicken kebabs (R30)
· Rumpsteak kebabs (R45)
· Braaibroodjie-Roosterkoek (R20)
· Or a combo of all the above (R80)GlenWood Uncorked function on Friday evening 23 September – Shiraz-and-Shanks Heritage Dinner, along with “Best-dressed 4 Heritage Competition”. Two-course dinner paired with our award-winning Vigneron’s Selection Shiraz.
- Black Elephant Vintners – Try the cake and wine pairing in association with the Village Tart. . In line with Heritage Day theme they have teamed up with Ryan Smith, of Ryan’s Kitchen fame and will be offering a South African braai table plus live music for those who want to relax and enjoy the splendour of the valley.
Be adventurous!. Other participating farms are:
1. Noble Hill
Think pink, pink, pink! Rosarita cocktails, live music – Spanish flair acoustic guitar, Mexicali burgers from the grill (12:00-16:30 only), Salsa bar. Latin-inspired menu at Cosecha Restaurant, including their ever-popular tableside guacamole, prepared by guaquistadors! Churros, chocolate, and delicious desserts. Games and prizes. Bienvenidos.
Spread out on the lush lawn overlooking the Simondium valley with live music by Coffe-4-Two. The estate’s rich winemaking history, dating back to 1693, is evident in the complex, beautifully balanced and multi-layered wines produced there – wines that would have found favour with Huguenot founder, Charles Marais. Join them for a feast during the festival with a snoek braai (R60pp). Wine on offer for the festival tasting will be: Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot and Petit Plaisir.
Sit and enjoy the beautiful view over the vineyard and mountains, or kick your shoes off and dance on the grass to the tunes from the live music performed by the Professors. For the more active festival goers, there will also be the annual golf challenge, where you can show your talent. And to create memories, don’t forget to take your picture in their frame. While sipping wine, dancing or playing golf, there will also be the tastiest “chilli dogs” available, should you get hungry.
Visitors can pre-book for exclusive flagship wine tastings in the Jonkershuis on both days with their cellar master, Matthew van Heerden, from 11:00-11:30. They will have pre-packed picnic baskets and cheese boards available, as well as several lunch options such as BBQ beef brisket with truffled pommes purée and wild mushrooms, or a salad of grilled patagonian baby squid with smoked red pepper couscous and vineyard herbs. As an alternative, the mini tartlets of salted caramel and white chocolate ganache, lime and burnt hazelnut meringue, and wild berry and spearmint should satisfy any sweet tooth.
5. La Bri
Breathtaking views of the majestic Franschhoek mountains where elephants once roamed. Sipping on handcrafted Estate Wines, listening to feel good live music whilst a visit to their boutique winery is food for ones soul. A fun gourmet food truck will provide food for all! A kids craft corner will keep the little visitors entertained. Free wine tasting samples will be available in their state of the art cellar plus their famous chocolate and wine pairing sessions (R60pp) will run every hour on the hour from our tasting room. For enquiries and bookings call them on 021 876 2593
Visit Boekenhoutskloof during the Uncorked Festival to celebrate the latest release of The Chocolate Block, the 2015 vintage. They are thrilled to announce that, with the release of the 14th vintage of The Chocolate Block, they finally have achieved their goal – 100% Wine of Origin Swartland! The Kitchen Jamming Blues Band will once again bring sexy back, but with the NEW addition of Franschhoek’s Finest band – Uncorked! (12:00 – 17:00), while Callie Louw from The Southern Smoke will blow your socks off with his ultimate Pulled Pork Sandwich. You also stand a chance to WIN a 3L of The Chocolate Block 2015 – simply take a picture of you and your friends at their BIG BOTTLE, follow them on Instagram @TheChocolateBlock and share your pic with them on Instagram by using the hashtag #RockTheBlock. Winners will be announced on Tuesday 27 September 2016.
Avoid the queues and pre-book your Uncorked Weekend Pass through www.webtickets.co.za. As an added extra, outdoor enthusiasts will be able to participate in a selection of outdoor activities on offer during the weekend. For more info contact the Franschhoek Wine Valley offices on 021 876 2861 or visit www.franschhoekuncorked.co.za for further details and a list of participating farms. For regular updates follow them on Twitter @Franschhoek_SA.