Date(s) - 20/06/2019
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
WINE LOVERS’ ANNUAL FIX (GET IT FIRST)
The public tastings for the prestigious Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show take place on Wednesday 12 June in Johannesburg and Thursday 20 June in Cape Town. Since the show’s inception in 2002, these single night events have offered enthusiasts the chance to keep up to date with SA’s current wines of distinction and meet the Trophy winning winemakers. Additionally, visitors can order the silver, gold and trophy medal winners – over 160 wines from 98 wineries, many of which are freshly released – at show prices on the night.
Highlights will be the Old Mutual Best White and Red wine trophy winners, the International Judges’ trophy winner and The Discovery of the Show (best value wine). The wines of The Most Successful Producer of the Year will undoubtedly be major show drawcards too.
The results of the 2019 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show judging will be announced on Tuesday 4 June; the lists of trophy and medal winners and additional information (such as Top 10 best value wines) will be available at www.trophywineshow.co.za and on the Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show app from 15h30. Attendees will be able to download a list of the public tasting wines before the event.
The Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show competition took place in Paarl over 4 days from 6 May. The 2019 judging panel, chaired by wine authority Michael Fridjhon, comprised three international and six local judges representing a collection of world-class expertise. The international judges were Kirk Bauer, founder of Mundus Vini (Europe’s largest wine competition), Simon Field MW, former Berry Bros & Rudd buyer responsible for French and Spanish wine regions, and Benjamin Roffet, Best Sommelier in France 2010 and the Meilleur Ouvrier de France Sommellerie winner in 2011. South African judges were Narina Cloete (winemaker at Blaauwklippen), Christian Eedes (editor of winemag.co.za), Patson Mathonsi (Wine Ambassador at Asara Wine Estate), Alexandra McFarlane (owner winemaker at McFarlane Wines), JD Pretorius (cellarmaster at Warwick Wines) and François Rautenbach (Head of Singita Premier Wine Direct programme).
The participation of a team of associate judges, drawn from the pool of rising South African winemaking and judging talent, was included in a supportive capacity. This year’s Associates were: Murray Barlow, cellar master of Rustenberg Wines; Ndaba Dube, F&B manager, Blaauwberg Beach Hotel; Spencer Foundaumiere, regional sales manager, Warwick Wine Estate; Gynore Fredericks, final-year intern at Mullineux & Leeu Family Wines; Tinashe Nyamudoka, head sommelier and beverage manager, The Test Kitchen; and Johannesburg-based Debi van Flymen CWM and currently British MW student.
JOHANNESBURG PUBLIC TASTING
Date: Wednesday 12 June 2019
Venue: Sandton Convention Centre (Bill Gallagher Room), Maude Street, Sandton
Time: 17h00 to 21h00
Parking: Secure underground parking available at convention centre and neighbouring parkades
CAPE TOWN PUBLIC TASTING
Date: Thursday 20 June 2019
Venue: CTICC (Ballroom, Level 1), Convention Square, 1 Lower Long Street, Cape Town
Time: 17h00 to 21h00
Parking: Secure underground parking available in CTICC parkade
Bookings: Book tickets online via www.webtickets.co.za for both the Johannesburg and Cape Town events.
- Ticket price: R180 Early Bird for bookings a week before each event; R200 thereafter (same prices as last year). Buy online or at the door, subject to availability. No under 18s, babies nor prams.
- Wines: The results of the 2019 judging competition will be announced on 4 June when the full list of winning wines will be available at www.trophywineshow.co.za or on the Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show app from 15h30.
- Other important details: Ticket includes tasting glass, unlimited tastings. No entry allowed for under 18s, babies or prams.
- Wine Sales: Wines at show prices can be ordered from the Makro ‘pop-up’ store at the tasting or online until 28 June.
- Refreshments: Light meals are for sale.
- Enquiries: (011) 482 5936. www.trophywineshow.co.za; www.outsorceress.co.za. Find us on Facebook and Instagram (trophywineshow) and follow @omtrophywines on Twitter; #OMTWS2019, #OMTWS