Mont Rochelle in Franschhoek Wine Valley is number 104 on my list of 800 wineries in South Africa. This winery is owned by Sir Richard Branson who can be often spotted here playing tennis with hotel guests!
The estate is owned and run by Virgin Limited Edition and boasts not only a winery but hotel and restaurants too including The Country Kitchen and MIKO.
There are different options available which they like to refer to as ‘wine flights’.
- Three wine flight: R50 pp Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and a Red Blend.
- Six wine flight: R90 pp White Blend, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Red Blend, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah.
- Premium wine flight: R105 pp Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, a 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2005 Merlot.
- Miko wine flight: R120 pp Miko White and Miko Red 2009.
- Full Monty wine flight: R250 pp The full range as mentioned above. 10 tastings.
- Gourmet tasting wine and food pairing: R165 pp (three pairings)
I tried the Six wine flight as well as a spoil of the Miko wine flight (which was my absolute favourite. The pouring sizes were really good too. What a treat!
Wine tasting is hosted indoors and they also have an outside table too where you can mingle with like-minded individuals. But I would have to say that the best spot to enjoy the views is to book a spot at the Country Kitchen and have an amazing lunch to accompany the great wine.
The wine tasting menu is also quite something! Select any three nibbles for R180 per person or any five nibbles for R280 per person. The nibbles are things like garlic snails, crispy potato skins, olives, chorizo and leek and snoek pate. Cheese platters go for R195 which is enough for two people sharing. That’s really good value for money here in Franschhoek.
If you are feeling a bit adventurous, why not book a picnic which they will pack for you and you can enjoy on the lawn (pre-booking a must). It’s also good to know that the Franschhoek Wine Tram visits this estate too!
The staff are really better than
Cellar tours are complimentary too. If you are looking for a bit of a more premium tour, you can pre-book a tour with the winemaker at R100 per person.
Although not turned away, I would not recommend bringing small children to this wine estate.
The Country Kitchen
The Country Kitchen at Mont Rochelle in Franschhoek wine Valley is the perfect place to unwind and relax. I mean HELLOOOOO look at these magnificent views. Guys! They do burgers! Check out the menu!
The hotel restaurant is world class too and comes highly recommended for dinner. They have a number of awesome events running too:
- Braai lunches every Friday from R320 pp
- Winemakers dinner (28 Feb, 28 March, 30 May for R750pp)
- Valentine’s Dinner (3-course dinner for R750 pp)
- Live entertainment nights with James Stewart (7 March, 4 April, 2 May).
To book any of the above, please call 021 876 2770.
The hotel has 26 bedrooms and also hosts some of the most amazing weddings! Each room is different with amazing views of vineyards and mountains. Absolute 5-star luxury!
Probably the most cute part about staying at this hotel is that you get to collect one of the Virgin Limited Edition rubber ducks. And LOOK, this one has a wine theme. My life is complete!
I had the most amazing visit to this estate. So which farm will be next? 🙂